- A characteristically vague attempt to explore the baffling Venn of work, study and life -

Tuesday 9 March 2010

Shifting Sands

Nice little article here, ostensibly about the changes needed to teacher training in FE in light of the new diploma schemes and the increased numbers of 14-16 students in colleges. It also includes a very brief treatment of the perceived failings of teacher training for FE teachers in general, and quotes Kennedy (1997) defining FE as 'what is not school and not university'. I like that idea.

There's an impassioned rant brewing somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind about professionalism as variously defined by the GTC, the HEA and LLUK, but in the meantime I need to think about my own teacher training programmes. How can I train all my students to jump through all the hoops while at the same time preparing them to navigate the shifting sands of FE classrooms, organisations and policy?

No comments:

Post a Comment