- A characteristically vague attempt to explore the baffling Venn of work, study and life -

Sunday 14 March 2010

Cahoots

Been talking shop with a Secondary teacher of my acquaintance and esteem. As far as I can make out, FE and Secondary teaching is very similar on paper when it comes to hours and time. The only real difference I can see is the amount of work a secondary teacher has to mark each week, and the class sizes, which makes more marking and more work. I'm guessing it would be impossible to fit all of this into PPA time, which, I'm told, is 10% of contact time, roughly 21bit hours. Even after an insane first couple of years teaching a subject and getting all the materials made and courses planned, it would still take more than this to do a good job.

My other point of curiosity was about status, arising out of my current stagnation. I see him as a real teacher, as he was trained before he started, works incredibly hard and genuinely aims to disturb his students to the point where they can learn (his Nazi party-piece is the stuff of legend). He, on the other hand, sees me as the real teacher, as I deal with skills and people who feel the need for these skills in the real world.

Perhaps we're both individually thinking that we're still not quite good enough for the responsibilities we've taken on. From where we're standing, the other one looks like an expert, and the trouble with experts is they make everything look easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment